My heart truly hurts.I have loved Tim Russert for many years. Since I was a little girl, I've watched news shows faithfully...20/20, 60 Minutes, Larry King Live, Dateline and Meet the Press. Growing up, I always wanted to be a journalist and secretly still do...if I could be anything, that's it. Throughout college and especially since living by myself in Nashville, I've spent many a Sunday morning with a bowl of cereal and Tim Russert. I have even joked that preachers give passes if you're spending Sundays with Meet the Press. After work I used to always check MSNBC to see if he was appearing with Keith or Chris before I dove into my TiVo. I am energized by his hard questions, find his common sense philosphy refreshing and enjoy watching guests squirm and sweat the entire segment.
I remember cheering out loud when he became emotional questioning the Mayor of New Orleans and FEMA director during the devestating days following Hurricane Katrina. I have yelled at the tv in disgust and frustration over the idiotic responses from George W who could never handle the questions of accountability. It's where I learned the most about political hopefuls and our military leaders.
I can't imagine this election season without him. He was an objective Democrat who made me proud to be blue. He was a good man. He was a gentleman. A family man. Passionate yet thoughtful. Always a twinkle in his eye. A true intellectual, but a man for all people. He was first-class and the real deal. He was a prosecutor for the public good.
things just won't be the same..
5 comments:
Excellent post. I am forwarding it to all of my "blue friends" (pun not intended but rather suitable).
I can't say I was a "fan" of Russert simply because I have never really been a fan of politics or political shows. However, the tributes I have seen so far inspire me as a person and as a member of the country. It is neat to see so many people at such a loss over a such a public figure. It is almost as a big of a deal for us as it was for the English to lose Princess Di? Is that too much an over statement? I know he was in no royal seat but people are REALLY devestated... ok maybe more comparable to a Kennedy?
So well put L! My heart sunk when I heard the news and I agree that the political scene will not be the same without him. He was often the only one asking real questions. What will happen without him asking those questions? I guess we'll have to hold our breath and see.
Great post La!! As this post and all the others exhibit, that journalist dream is still a good possibility.This country has lost a friend who was passionate about and determined to keep the public informed of the FACTS...no show horse or hollywood drama. I hope we will all do our homework half as well as he did and stay informed. I, too, cannot imagine the election season without him. And, after seeing his son, Luke, on the networks, I also admire him very much as a parent. It's a sad time.
Great post. I loved the man. Seriously.
I miss you.
ok now its your turn....
Post a Comment