I recently read an article in my latest Garden & Gun (the best magazine ever!!) about a South Carolina transplant living as an artist in New York City...while deciding on a tattoo she wanted, she settled on getting the words "sweet tea" inked on her arm because it simply felt like home to her; a feeling she never wanted to lose...especially in that crazy foreign land called New York City. I love this piece! I identify completely, appreciate the humor behind the act and have been reminded of this story several times this week I've been home.
For all you of you born and bred in the South, the image that these two words bring to your mind certainly will vary but I'm sure they take you somewhere, make you think of someone, or remember a great reunion or treasured conversation. For me, I think of always drinking sweet tea with bologna sandwiches on white bread with no crust on the back steps of my best friends house growing up. My siblings and I loved it because Mrs. Dianne always put so much more sugar than my mom and at home we always had wheat bread and had to eat the crust (our babysitter and surrogate grandmother Lela told us we had to eat the crust to keep us "regular" ;) )
This simple little concoction with a name as charming as it tastes creates community, it breeds the greatest hospitality and well, it's just plain good!
I will always smile thinking of these images when I think of "sweet tea", but I've been reminded of this story because we've had fresh veggies, good ole' momma country cooking and people, friends & family...a community...in our house nearly every single night. These sweet summer treats bring back so many good memories of home and create an environment for more to be made. Really, what's better than fresh tomatoes and corn picked out of our garden, juicy Georgia peaches in homemade vanilla ice cream, sweet potatoes and chicken livers?
Maybe it's cause it's summertime and maybe it's cause I'm on the farm in the country, but life can't get better than the sweet feeling, sweet thoughts, sweet time and sweet love I've gotten this week at home.
...it's just like sweet tea.
5 comments:
i totally get Garden and Gun mag. I found it about 3 months ago and I LOVE it.
You're my sweet tea...
I wish I were at home! I know you are taking full advantage of being home as you should! Sweet tea, front porch, mom, dad and the feeling of being home...nothing better.
This is so true.
Sweet tea always makes me think of my Aunt Mat's house, she made it so sweet it was like syrup.
Glad you are home enjoying the good life. :)
Who has been sittin' in my little chair on the front porch?! You better be savin' it for me. :)
Looks like I have a new magazine to read. Just getting ideas for Alanie.
You are sweet tea......with mint, for sparkle. Miss you!
Post a Comment