Thursday, December 10, 2009

merry and bright.

We decided to deck them halls for the holidays, y'all. After a few days stuck in limbo on whether or not it was worth it to get a tree and all the trimmings since we're going out of town for the holidays, Collin was the super trooper who convinced me to come around and along for the ride. So off we went....on a freezing cold Sunday afternoon we loaded up with The Plummer's and headed to a tree farm.

Now this wasn't your ordinary tree farm, I'm tellin ya...it was a little bit hoity toity, if you will. But this is also coming from a girl who grew up cutting down cedar trees in the woods that you could see through and never had a traditional christmas tree shape.

There were beautiful, tall and voluptous firs and spruces...but inevitably Collin and I walked straight to the lonely white pine trees. Funny how that happens. He's got a soft spot for pine trees and is darn knowledgeable about them too. And well I'm just partial cause they're a little more natural and as close as I'm gonna get to swingin that ax on a tree in the woods. And well, I'm a sucker for the ones that need a little love, have the most gaps and lean a little too.

Our favorite baby boy, the Baker man, was not a fan of the tree farm. He couldn't care less about any stinkin' Christmas tree and didn't even care if Santa was watching. {granted it was pretty darn cold and he is his mother's child}


I scooped him up out of his mama's arms for a little trot through the tree farm, however Aunt Laurel and Uncle Collin definitely didn't have the magic touch that day. Collin suggested I sing him Christmas Carols...so I did. He hated Santa Clause is Coming to Town and lashed out at Jingle Bells....fail. {or maybe it was just my singing, whatever.}

Sarah and Chris quickly decided upon one of those beautiful trees on the first row, but Collin and I {or mainly just I} had a serious decision making come apart. C finally narrowed it down to two trees I had to choose from and Sarah and I decided this little beaut was the best. And little he is....just a bit over 6 feet tall, plump and a little brown around the edges {ha!}

I totally held the saw to make it look like I did something, but holding it for the picture was the extent of my contribution.


We got our pictures taken by the sweet folks that own the farm, drank some hot chocolate and watched the fellas shake and bake our new piney friends.

{i love this picture. i have a crazy awful face because I'm sad Baker is crying so, Collin is obviously OVER all the pics, Chris is cheesing & throwing the "one thumb up" and Sarah is looking beautiful and unphased, while lil Baker is cursing all christmas trees in his own baby language.}

We loaded up the trees, cranked up the heat &
hit the road happy as can be!




We had a jolly good time decorating our little doozie. We had no ornaments, no lights and not even a tree stand. So we hit the local hardware store down the street, got old-school ceramic lights {which I adore} and several boxes of basic ornament balls that sparkle and shine.


I forgot about a tree skirt too, and really most the ones they sell are kinda cheesy. So nothing was more right than a little burlap love from the craft closet. Collin added the star I made out of recycled materials a few years ago. It leans a little to the left, but that's alright.


...and our pine tree delight was complete and perfect.


I made the bows for the live wreath and front porch garland and
lit her up all white and bright. It sure is sweet looking in from the street.


then I made a quick bow, added it to another live wreath and hung her up in the dining room.


I'm glad I came around the mountain and offered our abode a little holiday love. We're just a little giddy about our humble tree and fun festive flare!


fa la la la la, la la la laaaa.

4 comments:

Janie said...

I love this....it is oh so merry!!!I love the pic of y'all's tree next to the Plummers, (so funny) and your wreaths, bows and garland and really pretty. Lil Baker is ADORABLE!

Anonymous said...

LOVE it. It was SO cold... the tree looks great. We will have to come by and get a picture with it! This needs to be a new tradition. Maybe next year we can pick a new farm... your choice.

Unknown said...

I miss Beechwood. I miss you.

Searcy Yoder said...

oh the recycled star. I was there for the creation of that beauty. I miss ya'll.