Wednesday, July 21, 2010

home.

I went home to Georgia for two and half days. 
at the beginning of the week, smashed between an overwhelming work load
and a trip to the coast.

I talked myself out of going almost everyday for nearly seventy two hours before
I just didn't have time. I couldn't be away a single weekday more than I already am.
excuses, reality, exhaustion, rush.

IMG_1921
But every moment I thought of my mom, my dad I teared up
I glanced to see "mom" glow on my caller id and I could barely swallow the lump in my throat
I needed to go
home

I hadn't been since March, which is four months too long.
I needed them. I needed that smell, those pine floors beneath my feet.
I wanted our kitchen table, time in the field, a good elbow in the side or tripped up feet
from my brother.

IMG_1929
So I loaded up, packed up 4 days earlier than my planned departure.
I added work boots, "play clothes" and a pair of blue jeans to my luggage
I arrived close to midnight on Sunday and missed my exit because I was singing...too loudly, too intently.
singing Robert Earl Keen, a song that means I'm almost home.

I caught the tail end of a lil bluegrass concert in the library
ate fresh green beans, peas and corn from our garden
cornbread and honey
at midnight
I was home, it was heaven it was home.
IMG_1811
I picked beans one morning and tomatoes the next
shucked corn until I thought I'd never breathe the word again
my brother is the farmer
I am not. It was hard work. It was hot.
but I sweat through it all. appreciating every single scrape, itch, drop of sweat and dirty fingernail.

I got to meet our new farm pup
that annoyed me to no end and made me smile every second.
I was able to visit my first cousin Lisa and her two boys who live Kenya Africa, here for 3 weeks this summer.
they are special. actually Special is an understatement. they are magnetic, they are refreshing. two rockstar kids I can't get enough of.

jfd1
it was a quick two days, but it was vital.
I felt Laurel come back. the real Laurel.
between a wise crack from my mama and the snicker of ridiculousness from my brother 
between each rock back and forth on the front porch as my dad and I talked politics
and when I sat in "my" chair at the kitchen table over country fried steak & creamed corn.
hay
good ole Laurel came back.
a breath of fresh air, a wide open sky 
it was funny, it was work.
I reconnected. I felt my wings ease up and my roots tighten down.
I was home.
it felt like heaven, it looked like home.




4 comments:

Janie said...

You've done it again!!! But this time the tears won't stop. It was so fun, so good....really good! These are the days I treasure and look forward to more to come.

Love you and miss you!

Laura Mielke said...

What a wonderful place to go home to... so glad you have that "sanctuary." NEAT NEAT NEAT.

Julie Cottrell Photography said...

i love your love for your home and family. you express it so well through your writing. makes me want to go there with you. ;)

Anonymous said...

OK, so I have been in and out of suffering from "homesickness" and I was just told to not read this if I was homesick (by mom), and I wasn't at the time....but I am OFFICIALLY HOMESICK NOW!!!!! I LOVED it and kinda felt like I was HOME!! Thank You!