I leave on Friday to spend five days in Washington, D.C. to be a part of the Presidential Inauguration festivities! Planning has been underway since early October, even before we knew if "our" guy would win. I, along with seventeen other women family members {yes eighteen total}, have rented two town homes within walking distance of all the excitement in order to experience this together.
Yes, I voted for Mr. Obama, and yes I am still trying to grasp the historical significance surrounding his story and journey for the next 8 (!) years...but I am most excited to take this all in as a simple individual in a sea of an estimated 5 million other folks 'just like me'. Who are these 5 million people? And where are they coming from? Will they be mostly young folks, minorities, "green" groups & hippies? Will they be families and baby boomers? Or will they be a joyful mix of all?
I believe the coverage of this inauguration has changed the Journalism world forever. The focus on this Inauguration has not been on the traditional politics and pomp & circumstance around this 220 year old event, but has been heavily focused on the human interest element of a historical moment in time. I am fascinated by these stories of strangers hitching rides with strangers via social media networks {craigslist & facebook}, a record year for the motor coach industry as thousands of church groups and schools are travelling cross country to just "be there" and hundreds of service projects throughout the city are filled to capacity on MLK day for a "day of service" initiated by Obama & Biden.
And well, we sure have a story to tell, too. As a family and group of women {minority} ages 12 years old to 77 years old {multi-generational} hailing from Georgia {a bleeding red state}, we are what some would consider an unlikely group to attend this event. Some in our group have experienced World Wars, the Vietnam War and were important figures in the Civil Rights Movement. A few have experienced the life of a politician's spouse while others have campaigned tirelessly and passionately for their candidate to win. Many of us have been pioneers for grassroots charities and community service. We all have roots that run deep not only in the Democratic party but in the spirit of this country. We are proud, we are humbled and we are simply excited to experience this...together.
We started a blog several months ago to document the planning, thoughts and excitement surrounding this trip: www.cousins12to77.blogspot.com.
We've gotten some fun media coverage and there are several opportunities both locally and nationally brewing at the moment that I can't mention *yet*...but stay tuned.
I look forward to sharing this experience through my blog and hope you all use this occasion to educate your children and ignite your own minds as to the importance of country, community and an historical event that is bringing together an unprecedented amount of people in the spirit of hope.
..in true Southern fashion, our motto and mantra for the week is "Yes Ma'am We Can"!
4 comments:
I am SO INCREDIBLY JEALOUS of your opportunity to go to this, and I am also appreciative of your sharing this experience with us through your blog. Take good pics and be sure to keep us up to date on every amazingly historic detail.
You write about this so beautifully that I can hardly wait to read about it, and I'll be there. And, you take great pictures so I know you'll 'do us proud'.
Wow! I am so excited for you. I can't wait to hear all about it and I will be checking out the other blog.
Have fun, and as I used to say when I was teaching...
HAPPY HISTORY!
Historic DETAILS - I'm with Nick. You better take a journal everywhere you go. I WANT DETAILS. atmosphere, people, smells, signs, singing, chanting, praying, whatever! Details La. Details.
Post a Comment