I left my ipod at home...forcing myself to think, breathe and take it all in. Exchanging friendly nods with two overly chipper postmen and stopping to talk to a friend I haven't seen in a while. Passing lots of mommies with their babies in tow and happy dogs glad to finally roam.
Oh yes, today. The sun was shining today. I kept on running, feeling like a new person already, and began thinking of Hassan and Amir. Then I remembered they are not real...only characters. Characters in the book I just read, The Kite Runner.
I love it when that happens. When characters stick around and become a little more real. A bittersweet read it was, but highly recommended.
I read this book at the right time in my little ole life. I'm craving a challenge, yearning to learn something new and to generate fresh creativity. And this book reignited that in me, it seems.
As a result of owning my own business, working from home, and having a work load that is less than desirable due to a dreadful economy...I have idle time that doesn't force my mind to move, doesn't involve me in daily rhetoric.
I feel like my language has gotten extremely lazy and my vocabulary and choice of words is not near as "eloquent" as it used to be. I am really struggling with this. But this book has recharged my brain, I think -- I want to know more, read more, learn more, write more.
I need that right now, I do. I need that like I needed a little speed in my heart rate, needed to break a cold winter sweat under layers of clothes, and needed to move my mind.
...part of my life discovered and uncovered when the sun came out today.
4 comments:
I cannot believe you just read that book!!!! I just rented the movie two but it was ALL subtitles. Read his second book, A Momment in the Sun (I think that is it), but it is about the role of women in Pakistan. It will get you going too. I am bring back two books for you this weekend too.
i really need to get some book reccomendations for me to read. I have gotten where I really love to read, but I don't seek new books. Let me know if you have advice for good reads for me:)
Love you!
...and love this post. It is so true how sunshine can change your day...especially combined with a good run.
You have such a strong voice...I appreciate your insight!
Oh yeah.....sunshine is magic. Pallie is bringing 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' to you tomorrow. Get ready, it's another page turner. You should be able to give Kat a good book list, both meaty and fluffy.
Post a Comment