i spent an overdue afternoon at the flea market today
at the fairgrounds, only a mile or so from my house
...and it did my lil gypsy heart good.
something about seeing those buildings named "rabbit barn" and "steer shelter"
made it feel right in the world.
i was with my favorite gals
and we didn't have a time limit, had a short list and a some cash to spend.
we had on our workout clothes, hats and scarves
hadn't showered, come straight from the gym.
i love the characters that run the booths
they are like the flea market version of
carnies.
one guy had been setting up since wednesday
sleeping in his van
{in the freezing cold}
{in the freezing cold}
another smoked no less than 4 cigarettes
told double the amount of silly jokes
that he'll surely repeat and deliver as if it was the first time
over the course of the weekend.
then there was pat. who lindsay knows from her everyday work.
he "picks" for celebrities, designers and shops
i wanted to freeze time and take him to my front porch
to talk. to pick his brain. to hear his stories. gather his secrets.
i am so completely intrigued by him. he had my favorite booth there
by far.
i overheard a grandmother proudly pep talking her 7-ish year old grandson
about what the market was all about.
and i grinned when i heard her encourge him to ask the booth owners
if they'd seen any
fleas.
we got some really cool finds.
quirky, interesting.
investment pieces. pieces that add another layer, another story
to this house we
love.
these beauts were one of my
jewels
from the day
talk about a story they must have.
they are 1970's, at least.
worn suede. nontraditional embroidery.
wrangler
boots.
and. im. in love.
thirty dollars.
it's the people. the spirit. the adrenaline, the haggling,
the thrill.
we took turns carrying a giant vintage suitcase alex bought
holding all of our finds.
we took our time, went back and pondered and talked ourselves and eachother
into and out of buying
things we couldn't pass up or were taking a chance on.
it's the simplicity, the friends, the flexibility of an open friday afternoon
overdue, much needed,
food & thrill to this ole gypsy heart o' mine.
*note: alex also became famous because of said, trip. she tweeted about our day, tagged Mike from American Pickers, and replied to her within minutes. i wish i coulda bottled up her excitement.
*note: alex also became famous because of said, trip. she tweeted about our day, tagged Mike from American Pickers, and replied to her within minutes. i wish i coulda bottled up her excitement.





3 comments:
After talking with you last night, I thought there might be a blog brewing. LOVE the boots, and what a great way to spend an afternoon.
God I wish I had been there! I love that stuff! I'm going to steal that luggage sister. I miss you woman
Ummm I want IN next time around! I just saw several additions to the apartment in just the few pictures you displayed. Seriously.
Post a Comment