Wednesday, October 22, 2008

...this I've come to know

The incredible importance and desperate need for peace is especially applicable in our world today. The leisurely use of the expression both spoken and symbolically resonates on a broad scale; from inner peace to religious peace and social peace to world peace.

The expression was derived from the Anglo-Normans (c. 1140) meaning 'freedom from civil disorder'. It was later used in various personal greetings by Biblical translators to give Hebrew Shalom, which has multiple meanings of 'safety, welfare & prosperity'." I like that.

It has now evolved into the most recognizable of symbols, breaking all language barriers; the peace sign, two "v" fingers and the dove & olive branch.

The existence of "peace" in my life warrants thought and contemplation, gratitude and realization.

I began processing these thoughts during my run this afternoon. I noticed over half a dozen homes with yard signs yearning for only one thing...peace. A few also had campaign signs for green party members or "end this war" requests, but I was struck by the gesture of someone or some family reaching out to inspire and publicly beg for peace. For a moment, I envied these strangers' passion, compassion and the wholesome lifestyle they theoretically lead. I imagined the lead a life full of peaceful moments and movements, actions and reactions to fulfill this highly applicable but rarely achievable vision. I do realize they are human beings too. They make mistakes, have regrets and struggle like me...but then again this was my imagination at work.

As I was processing all of this, I was reminded of the numerous moments I have been graced with peace that provided clarity and a new vision that have literally changed my life. The feeling of a burden lifted off of my shoulders after leaving an unhealthy environment, the new light that comes after an important decision is made. Or the wind that fills my soul and swells my heart by an epic sunset or conversation with a child. I believe that I don't experience these feelings everyday because "peace" still holds a sacred element. Peace, to me, can be reached in a variety of ways, but comes in moments that usually surprise me and mostly impact me more than I could ever plan for.

The search for peace is alive in my world today through my current mantra....the words in a Zac Brown Band Song:

"there's no dollar sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know"

And by mantra, I mean...I acknowledge it daily, it's made me smile, it's made me cry, I've had conversations about it and it's brought a breath of air to my life that I desperately need.

It simply rings true in so many ways:
As a gutsy new business owner who is experiencing failure thanks to a drowning economy and fearful consumers.
As an independent twenty-something female who's goals and aspirations keep taking left turns then quick rights with a destination unknown.
As a simple girl from the country living in a city of lights, wondering where I belong and what belongs to me.

So, to my neighbor-stranger-friends who lent me their sidewalks today and to the Anglo-Normans who coined this term so many years ago...Cheers!
. . . . . . .
Well I was raised up beneath the shade of a Georgia pine
And that's home, you know.
Sweet tea, pecan pie and homemade wine...where the peaches grow.
And my house it's not much to talk about
But it`s filled with love that's grown in southern ground.

And a little bit of chicken fried
Cold beer on a Friday night
A pair of jeans that fit just right
And the radio up.
Well I've seen the sunrise
See the love in my woman's eyes
Feel the touch of a precious child
And know a mother's love

And it's funny how it's the simple things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes
There's no dollar sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
So if you agree have a drink with me
Raise you glasses for a toast!


*zac brown band - "chicken fried"

2 comments:

Searcy Yoder said...

dont forget Turnip Geen!!

Janie said...

That's really deep and insightful. I hope Josh reads this, he'd be proud. I love how you can take a hidden line in a song, book or conversation, etc. and expand on it, appreciating the emotions behind it.