Friday, December 26, 2008

goodwill + godspeed

As I have mentioned in a few previous posts, my extended family who does Christmas the day after decided to move away from drawing names and exchanging gifts to use the money we would spend on gifts to donate on behalf of our family to a charity. While everyone was excited and refreshed about this new idea, we weren't exactly sure how it would all work out {how would we decide on one charity? would this get too personal? etc.}. Well I must say, the kinks worked themselves out and this turned out to be one of the most beautiful events I've been a part of.

The idea was for everyone to bring a charity of their choice to the circle, present exactly what it is & what it means to them, put their money into an envelope {without knowing who gave how much} and then to put all of the charities into a hat and draw one to contribute to. A win-win, really. Each charity is certainly worthy so the giving will be helpful and worthwhile no matter the choice.

So around the circle we went and thoughtful, personal, heart-wrenching and tearful stories poured out from behind each suggestion. The passion that exuded from each person was simply incredible. We were educated about organizations we were not familiar with and exposed to a vulnerable part of each other we may have otherwise never experienced.

I wish I could write 11 posts on what I learned and the personal stories behind each of these organizations, but here they are {linked} for reference:
Alzheimer's Association
amfAR {the foundation for AIDS research}
Arthritis Foundation
Ashraya Initiative for Children
Fostering the Dream
Heard County Food Bank
National Fibromyalgia Association
Salvation Army {multiple suggestions}
The Girl Effect
Toys for Tots
Troup County Georgia CASA Program

As I finished recording each suggestion and began cutting them out to place in a cowboy hat, it seemed as if something kind of came over everyone at once. One by one each person {initiated by my dad} began withdrawing their suggestions and came to a unanimous agreement that we should give to the charity that was not only started by a member of our family, but was local and in immediate need: Fostering the Dream. This was the charity I brought to the circle and our cousins Shirley Garrett and Kelly Glanton were instrumental in starting this organization after the loss of their dear friend, Linda Almon.

It only made sense, our family came together to give...and who better to give to than the work and passion of our own family members.

You see, Linda Almon and her husband Lanauza have had over 150 foster children in their home and have adopted six of them in addition to their own four. December 30, 2006 Linda passed away from breast cancer. In memory of Linda, these ladies started this organization to serve as a resource and support system for local foster families. Fostering the Dream's first project will be building a new home for Lanauza and the children as their current home is in much distress. While most of the construction is being donated, the organization has to raise $80,000 and the first $20,000 must be raised immediately to buy lumber to begin framing the house. The ultimate purpose for this organization is to provide housing assistance for foster families {building an extra bathroom, playroom, or wheelchair ramp} as the need arises. Pretty incredible, right? It was an easy choice for me as we were all fortunate to embrace this sweet family in November 2006, only one month before Linda passed away. Shirley brought the kids to our house to be a part of our Thanksgiving celebration {hayride and bonfire} for a little escape from the sad situation at home.

Shirley and her husband Randy spent Christmas Eve and Christmas morning at our house on the farm so I shared with her then that I had chosen FTD as my charity. Of course she was delighted and so it was only right to share the news with her tonight. I called her on my cell phone to tell her what had transpired and as I interrupted her cooking for a house full of guests....she teared up in pure awe, appreciation and love. I put her on the speaker phone, and she was able express thanks and love to our family for our generosity. It was a beautiful moment, really.

So not only were we able to support something "close to home", we got to give a mini-presentation together, and we will present our monetary donation at a ceremony/homestead blessing on Tuesday {the anniversary of Linda's death} that the organization is sponsoring.

This was meant to be. It just made sense. There is a greater reason as to "why" this happened, of that I am sure.

We are all still taking in the beauty of the evening and I am sure that this new tradition will fill our hearts as much as it will fill the lives of those we are helping.

3 comments:

momx2 said...

What an amazing story! And what an amazing family you have!

Kat said...

LOVE THIS! My family is starting the tradition of giving to charity as well. I have not picked my charity yet, so this was helpful:)

VBB said...

Laurel, you and your family are so inspirational to me and mine. I loved reading this account of the big decision. What a gift you have given me already, without any envelopes at all.