Friday, February 13, 2009

choice of depiciton.

If you haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire, you should.
And you should see it in the theater.

Pallie and I saw it a few weeks ago and it is exceptional! Every element of this film is captivating, heart wrenching, climatic and shockingly relatable in a testament to human nature.

It's so exceptional that I can't shake it. I can't shake the appreciation I have for it's simple choice of portrayal: the most beautiful depiction of the most wretched of things.

The cinematography is brilliant in illustrating a dismal life in India laced with the awareness of pure evil in the world, the resilience of children, redemption through suffering, and a love so intense it hurts...yet all of these emotions and situations are conveyed and come alive in the most colorfully dramatic way.

I cannot stress color enough, and when you see the movie you will understand, but the impact that the use of color has in contrast to the reality of the situation is overwhelmingly powerful.

My lifestyle, struggles, surroundings & freedoms do not even remotely compare to that in India, but I think it's time I view my reality in a new light and through a flash of color to simply change my choice of depiction. The presence of truth that commands every situation is inevitable, but I think I'll make a conscious effort to approach and embrace everything from petty problems to grateful celebration in a more colorful manner.

It may not be the most natural reaction, but maybe it will instigate a much healthier response?

2 comments:

Janie said...

Beautifully written, once again. I read it to Dad and he said that this will be his 'movie of the year'. I will see it with more open eyes. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Mateo & I want to see this and your review made us even more excited
Thanks!