made me cry and made me think.
I'm writing because I need to
watch it flow
from my mind, from my heart and into my own words...in real time.
And I'm writing it selfishly;
because in times that are only one personal pity party away, I need to reflect on these feelings, the sense of gratitude, humility
and of what really matters most
that I experienced today.
I'll spare some details not because of time, laziness or lack of words...
but to protect a delicate situation, a heartbreakingly amazing situation
and real people...strangers, a family I'll never forget.
I sold a painting.
The first one ever.
I sold it from our brand new etsy shop {details + launch coming soon!}
And I sold it within ten hours of it being posted on our storefront.
Lindsay messaged me to share the exciting news,
at 11:26 am
We screamed and giggled, this was real. Finally real.
We clinked our wine glasses, "cheers'd" our new venture and each other
and we dreamed a little more on the front porch last night.
We collaborated and wrote a sweet and sincere thank you email
back to the buyer.
Then we wrapped our little inaugural jewel in our trademark packaging
and tucked the painting away without looking at it twice.
Shipping next day, making it's way to a town
648 miles away.
We hoped for nothing more than a positive feedback
and inspiration to keep
creating.
At 11:18 am this morning Lindsay messaged me again and said:
"omg, go look at 'B's response. you're not ready for it"
and she was right, boy was she right:
Dear Laurel -
I look forward to receiving the bird painting and I have the perfect spot for it. The truth be told, I don't like birds AT ALL. I just finished a big remodel on our home and have been drawn to birds. Everyone knows my phobia and has questioned my decorating, which isn't to say that I haven't as well. My husband and our 11 year old son were killed in Feb --. To say the year has been difficult is to put it mildly. It has been one baby step forward and two gigantic steps backwards. There are many days that are dark and full of despair, but I have three small children who still need their Mommy when all else has been taken. C always joked about my dislike for birds and I'm sure that's where my style motiff is coming from. He's leading me.
We'll enjoy the painting. Please know that it's being hung with great love and honor for our two beloved, C and J.
We'll enjoy the painting. Please know that it's being hung with great love and honor for our two beloved, C and J.
it's a small painting. only 8 x 10.
and simple really, just a little birdy.
after another email exchange and learning more about
this heartbreaking story
I find myself perplexed, amazed and grateful.
Through tears, confusion and wonder,
I've repeatedly asked myself, lindsay, my mom and collin:
"why my birdy?"
...."why MY birdy?"
a search on etsy for "bird" yields
120,017 products
...for "bird painting"
10,889 options
so really....
"why my birdy?"
I don't know.
but I'm trying to draw positive energy from it.
I'm listening a little closer to my
heart, my gut
and the little whispers in the wind.
I'll dream about that "perfect spot" she mentioned
and hope that this small token I've been able to provide,
brings purpose and a new element of healing to her and those children.
I'm sure these type of stories are not few and far between
and fairly common as art and creativity often
strike a chord, emotion or memory
otherwise thought to be unreachable.
...but from here on out,
with every stroke of my paintbrush
I'll try to stop wondering why?,
I'll trust this leap of faith
and let it lead me.
7 comments:
this post tugged at my heart and made me tear up a little but most of all i wonder, why not your birdy? i'm thinkin B could feel the love.
Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!
Wow, you did not WARN me properly as you know I'm reading this at work crying my eyes out. Blowing my nose so hard it hurts. I believe she chose your "simple" bird because she knows your soul. That's deep I know but she knew somehow who and where it came from. These things don't just happen... God works in mysterious ways. I love you and your soul! I'm truly moved and will think about this the rest of the day.
P.S. I need to write more... I forgot to say Congrats on your 1st painting. It's not just your 1st painting, it's a beautiful story you will always have with it. God is good. I sound like a relious freak and you know I'm not BUT...
I don't believe in chance and I know you don't either...that is why God gave you the talent, the time, the place, the confidence, and this special lady. Keep it up! I am proud of you. Pretty cool how we are both flying high with new paths in art. I would love to have something from you at my house. Maybe I need a bird to remember this story, to humble myself on those days when I need to remember how blessed I am to have my family, and how a bird means new "flights" or taking a chance.
Blessings always, Laurel!
Please let me in on the secret that is the ETSY site...I need to see it now! he,he
I think Sarah has it right. and I think she chose your bird because its 'your bird'. So proud!!!!!
Post a Comment