Wednesday, March 17, 2010

pop of happy

Welcome to Nashville, the land of guitars, chasin' dreams & practically permanent gray skies.  I mean seriously, sun? Talk about gloom and doom...ugh. We're being teased with these mild spring temperatures but how in the world am I gonna get that pep in my step and color on my cheeks with that stubborn sun sleeping behind the clouds?

Talk about needing a little color, a little happy...well all need it and it's way overdue!

So, I picked daffodils yesterday. 
All by myself and for about twenty minutes; trumpets, buttercups and golden yellow.  It sure made me smile and brightened up my abode...we've got arrangements all over the house.

Daffodils make me think about home at the farm, and really they are the only flower I associate with that ole place.  
...maybe because as kids we always picked them {every single one!} the minute they popped up, excited to take them inside, excited because it finally meant spring.  
...maybe because nearly every year of my adult life my mama has sent me a picture of the first little burst of the yellow flower shining through a pocket of dead, dull brown grass on the farm {and usually in February!} The first ones always pop in the same spot, the little patch near the cotton house. I like that.

I wish I had them in my yard, man do I.  But the folks I nanny for have a beautiful garden and back yard full of these yellow delights.  So while the little boogers were sleeping, I got lost in the tons and tons of daffodils.  I wish I had my camera to capture them all...it's kind of unbelievable, really.  But ya know, while we usually all have our camera just a fingertip of neck strap away, sometimes it's nice just to take it all in with a pure eye, not through the eye of the camera.  And I savored every minute of it.

So today I woke up to the same gray skies, thick clouds and an empty hope for sunshine.  But there are bunches of these dainty, simple yellow pops of happy in my eyesight, throughout my house and that makes for a happy day, sunshine or not.

What simple something brings you a pop of happy?

{lame quality sorry, taken with my phone...}

1 comment:

Janie said...

These same perky flowers give me a pop of happy. Also, that big smile from Annie B when she first wakes up gives me a BIG pop of happy!