Monday, April 5, 2010

a song, a stool and a tappin boot.


We went to a show last night which is nothing out of the ordinary because we go to a lot of shows, one every couple weeks, at least.  We live in Music City after all, and the caliber of folks that come through this town and play is simply unbelievable.  It's hard to take advantage of it all and sometimes I feel like we take it for granted.

But I was looking forward to this show more than any I have in a while: Randy Rogers Band and Robert Earl Keen at the Ryman Auditorium.  And my anticipation didn't let me down, it was incredible. But it's not my raspy voice or blistered dancin feet that are leaving the lingering exctment about last night, it's the several moments I looked around and noticed the people, the fans...the 800ish other people loving the music, loving the evening and loving everyone around them because of the music.  A full circle moment.

It was pretty powerful, indeed.  This duo brought a variety of folks: good ole Texas guys, hippies in sundresses and flower headbands, hipsters in their converse tennies and vintage vests, frat guys who live for jam bands and a demographic that ranged from early twenties to late eightes.  But everybody was happy; it was peaceful, fun-loving and just plain good.

Music does that to folks, I believe.  Artists stripped down, no light shows or video screens, only a play list taped to the floor and a tappin boot. 

In about a 10 second span during "Feelin Good Again", I looked around me, from my church pew in Section 11 Row F in the balcony, and saw a smile that couldn't be wiped of my friend Taylor's face, Collin was blissfully happy in his hippie dancing world, on the floor a middle aged chick was dancing so freely I thought she may sprout wings and fly away and a group of guys in cowboy hats were two steppin with their ladies. It was kinda beautiful, really.

Music does that to folks, I believe.

During Randy Rogers' set he said: "At anytime in my career if anyone's ask me 'where would you like to play the most and who would you like to play with?' I'd say the Ryman with Robert Earl Keen Jr,...this is one of the best moments in my life" 

That's what music is all about, y'all. And we all felt it last night.
Thanks REK, RRB and country music's sacred sanctuary.
Thanks Nashville for using music, real music to help me appreciate the value of a song, a stool, a tappin boot and the feeling of love and peacefulness it can bring to a room, a group of people...if only for a moment. 

1 comment:

momx2 said...

Great post.
Ive attended a handful of concerts that capture what you are describing. There is nothing like it.