Oak Grove Farm.
Blooming and alive from hours of devout tending every single day.
The labor of love, the vision and livelihood of a thirty year old renaissance man and product of the same land.
{who happens to be my big fat snotty ankle tripping ear thumping brother}
Grown naturally, organically and void of enhancements to be bigger or better.
We walk the rows and pick a few arugula leaves & little green peas, green tomatoes and eat them all fresh from the plant.
Dust off the dirt and eat it like it's fruit; juicy, fresh, full of flavor.
Mama and them eat from the garden nearly every night. It takes home cookin to a new level
...and I'm mighty jealous.
In year one of this garden that took off on a wing and a prayer; a mere first year experiment....
Josh already has his own CSA {community supported agriculture} to which he delivers weekly, in midtown and downtown Atlanta.
Oak Grove Farm graces markets in the big city every weekend where the city ladies
love him.
He has regulars that come back see to him every week; for his veggies and more likely for his
sweet spirit.
The darn perfect display of burlap, chalkboards and mama's old baskets makes my heart leap
...and it's only going to get better.
With new sets of working hands, the fall greens coming in and the spring crop planned and planted.
He keeps this farm working.
Keeping the land up, raising and selling naturally grown vegetables, grassfed beef and farm fresh eggs, too.
With new sets of working hands, the fall greens coming in and the spring crop planned and planted.
He keeps this farm working.
Keeping the land up, raising and selling naturally grown vegetables, grassfed beef and farm fresh eggs, too.
If you're lucky enough to have local farmers near where you live, do yourselves a favor and purchase their products.
Take your kids a let them see where their food is grown.
Farmers have been a dying breed, but I feel like they are making a come back...
{farmers of our generation, believe it or not!}
{farmers of our generation, believe it or not!}
...thanks to a spreading mentality and lifestyle devoted to better health and simpler living.
Be proud, join the crowd and take advantage of the land.
Listen to the land, spend a little time with your favorite farmer and I bet you'll appreciate
what they both have to say....









3 comments:
Laurel, I've spent a lot of time lately mulling over the sustainable foods movement and I love the return to simplicity. Though I shop at Fresh Market, its just not the same as homegrown. So it goes without saying, I'll be checking out my local farmer's market this week. Thanks for taking me back to those days on the farm.
Beautiful......just beautiful. Thanks!!!!
Hey La! I've got some friends who live in ATL that might well be interested in what Oak Grove has to offer. Send Laura (or maybe me on FB) an email about some contact info and I'll be glad to pass it along. Thanks! And thanks to your fam for what you are doing to preserve REAL FOOD and contribute to sustainable living. I think its great!!
Post a Comment