Monday, August 4, 2008

fingers + toes

After reading Lacy's cute blog about the peace she found in simply sitting down with good ole crayons and a coloring book with her adorable little girl Avery, I decided to share about two days with my two favorite little girls in Nashville: Grayson & Ashton Nix. I've had several playdates with these girlies the last few weeks....they entertain me to no end and they love playing with their La!

One day I had them decorate some old frames I had with a variety of odds and ends with the intention of them putting one of their paintings in it.



So the next afternoon we started with a pb&j picnic then I let them paint whatever they wanted with any and all of my art supplies in the little studio set up in my house. They requested John Mayer/Beyonce/Indigo Girls/Fergie/Keith Urban on the iPod and sang at the top of their lungs...I covered every inch of the room in dropcloths, put them in old t-shirts and there were NO rules!



Gracie painted a few beauuutiful pictures...


Ashton painted some but was more concerned with taking pictures and scouting out which of my purses and jewelry "i don't use anymore" she was going to be able to snag & take home...



...that is until she said, "Laurel, Mommy says finger painting is too messy to do at home, so can we finger paint?" --- my heart sank a little, but why not?? --- "of COURSE you can"

I found an old large canvas and there was only one rule....they could ONLY use their fingers and toes. Check out the evolution of this masterpiece! (I added their initials)




I told them they could have whatever they painted, but after this one turned out so cool, I kept it and it now hangs in our guest bedroom. These pictures don't do it justice...p & I love it!

...
who knew what would happen when you put no boundaries on two little girls with unbridled imagniations, dirty feet and fingers and every color under the sun...

4 comments:

Mary Tyler S. said...

I want an original G and A painting! I love it!

momx2 said...

how awesome! I know they just adore you! You are gonna be a wonderful mom one day!

Amy said...

This is AWESOME!!! I wish we had you in Bowling Green to love on my kids....they would adore you!!! You will have to come and paint with them one day. Loved reading this Laurel!

Janie said...

What lucky little girls to have a "mother-in-law" like you.