Saturday night intended to be nothing more than some deck time with wine and watching the Olympics, of course, but turned into a situation I can't stop thinking about. After all the guys retired permanently inside to watch tv or go on to sleep, four girls sat under a chilly August sky and talked. Just talked. Not about ourselves specifically, but about our lives, our lives as young women who are significantly educated & driven with divine careers and a passion for more out of every facet of our lives.
Inevitably, conversations of going off on the insurance company and catching the cable company charging us $12 extra in "miscellaneous" charges led to POLITICS. I mean we covered every basis, from platforms and parties, to candidates and problems, bills and laws, rights as humans and immigration, right and wrong...and ultimately which one of us should run for President and VP in 2012. :)
The beauty of this is that four twenty-something girls, three conservative and one democrat, each educated and passionate about different issues, until the wee hours of the morning, yelled at each other, the world and the open Tennessee sky with ultimately the same wish and same vision: honesty and fair rights among every human being, in our country and abroad.
While I continue to think and re-think about why each of them thinks they way they do, which is different from me, I get it...we all want the same thing but only envision different avenues to get there. If only the muddiness of parties and egos would step out of the way, I'd have a little more hope that this could be achieved.
I am discouraged with so much about our country, politics, politicians and this election so I avoid these conversations at all costs. However, I am quite refreshed and inspired that if only there were numerous other groups of four twenty-something girls out there under there own skies having these same kind of conversations on a Saturday night over several bottles of wine, there's hope for our future after all.
thanks Jennifer, Carlie & Katie.
4 comments:
This is your first post I don't really agree with. For a long time, I was disheartened about our country, politics and politicians.
For the first time in eight years, I can see a future for our country in Obama. He may not be able to make all the changes he is proposing but if a presidential candidate could do everything he/she talks about in their campaign, they would have to be superhuman.
It is great that all of you could sit around and talk about politics in an election year and not kill each other. I think that is also a sign of hope for our future. It truly is our generation that will have to make the change...this leads me to believe that we really can.
I love talking politics & religion. And I L-O-V-E people who can do it without getting offended. Ive had a couple of people cross my path who thought everyone had to have the exact same values,religion, & political party to be friends. I am glad our generation, for the most part, is open-minded enough to listen to everyone's thoughts. My sisters and I don't even agree on a presidential candidate!!! Love you girl, keep the posts coming, they always make me feel enlightened.
I feel really lucky because most everyone in my core group of friends here are liberal Democrats, like myself. But what I hate is the automatic assumption that people make about Democrats in the South. People that automatically jump to the topic of abortion and what they THINK I believe just drives me bonkers. If you want to know what I believe (on anything) ASK ME lets talk about it. I have said it before and I'll say it again "Learn to think for yourselves people!!!!"
I love/hate talking politics. Maybe it's because I'm a party hopper....
don't tell.....
Post a Comment