Monday, September 8, 2008

meet the mutts

these four-legged fellas have been referred to in several posts about the farm, so I decided our little buddies and extended family members deserved an appropriate introduction.

keep in mind, these are true farm dogs. in my lifetime we've had probably 30 dogs come and go but this little quartet has been pretty solid for many many years.

they have personality galore, are without a doubt my dad's dearest friends, they reverently attend Salem Methodist Church on Sundays (a whole 'nother blog it itself), are expert tractor followers and the most loyal lil' guys ever.

Betsy
aka: b*tchy betsy, dooder & hound dog

our 15 year old basset hound.
she is an absolute biatch and has at times voluntarily taken up temporary residence in a meth trailer down the dirt road.
but seriously. those ears, those eyes...yep. delicious.

Black Dog
original, right?

the son of our beloved White Dog...no longer with us :(
BD is the muttiest of all mutts. skinny, permanent bum foot & turning gray.

BUT the most loyal, gentle and precious being on this earth.

Dex
came from a pound in Montgomery. he is a card.

Dex lived in the gump for about a year (where we later found out he contracted the uncurable "south alabama diesase". seriously. wtf?) but soon became an official farm dog.
probably a lil bit down syndrome, only one ear really works, he has been pinned the "miracle dog" after nursing himself back to health after a few near-fatal incidents. He is MR.PERSONALITY.

Reddun
yes, as in "he's a Red One" and yes, we're country

Reddun is a transplant from one of Josh's buddies who couldn't care for him anymore. He is a heckuva hunter and can carry on a conversation with the best of em. His claim to fame is getting kennel cough after my aunt (who lives 0.3 miles away) took Reddun to the county pound (long story, but hilarious).

now you can put a mutts face with a mutts name...

3 comments:

Janie said...

HILARIOUS!!! I must say they are absolutely worthy of being on the world wide web. They bring much joy to our home and are always, always, always glad to see us whether we are gone 10 minutes or 10 days. I love these mutts!!!!!

pallie said...

aawww....I love those mutts!

Were you able to get a picture of Besty or is that one I took before?

Anonymous said...

Laurel. I must say this is the GREATEST post yet. I'm really not kidding. I had to stop myself from crying the whole time...tears of JOY of course. I mean seriously they are the cutest things I have ever seen. Dex has my heart! I think it's time for a farm trip after all these years, ok just 1 1/2 years or so but who's counting. Love!