Have you ever had an event or getaway that you were so excited about you were sure you may burst open with anticipation or set yourself up for an unrealistic disappointment?
Yeah, well me too. And this late April trip was the first situation like this for me, in a long, long time. It was a simple plan, an easy plan, and put together in a snap. It originally started with Collin, Drake, Chase and a planned weekend of turkey hunting weekend in lower Alabama. Then as I decide to join the ride I, of course, decided that it was the perfect excuse for a retreat with friends we don't get to see nearly enough; Kat & Bradfield {and Ellis Ann!} and Carolyn & Patrick.
We were staying at Dozier, one of the McMillan's hunting camps where the boys would hunt, the girls would hang {and smooch on Ellis Ann}, we'd eat a lot, listen to music, sit by a fire, have no cell service or a worry in the world...so I mean, can you blame the excitement?
We'd been counting down the days for nearly a month to the obsessive point that Collin, Drake and I had to make a promise to just stop talking about it until the week of the trip {mainly in part to the word epic falling from someone's lips}. So the beloved Thursday finally came, I loaded up all the boys and would have given anything for a single photo of our ride: me and three boys, Writer the golden retriever, about 8 shotguns, 2 bows, luggage, 2 guitars, cases of beer, a canvas camo "turtle bag" on the roof and a 12' trailer on the back with only a set of speakers, an amp, three fishing poles and a pair of boots. Classic Redneck, I tell ya.
Everybody had their own cabin along with a main house and fire pit where we spent most of our time. Thanks to our dear friend and chef, Michael Bell, we had a stocked kitchen, prepared and cooked meals every day. What we did to deserve that I am not sure; but boy was it nice....so, so nice.
Drake played at Oaks Cafe in Brewton on Friday night and it was a party! He's good, damn good and the people love him, identify with his words and his authentic soul. We hear him a lot, so it was fun to see him in his prime, playing his own songs and seeing strangers experience his art.
Saturday morning brought threatening skies and rain but there were fire pits, screen porches and baby smiles to keep us company. And oh! Ellis Ann was a jewel. She was the coolest baby around, she was torn out of her routine, held constantly and passed around, stealing hearts all the while; as Collin now brings her up daily and is convinced he's her new best friend. But her sweet spirit is really attributed to two awesome parents; who can't wait for her to ride in the mutton sheep rodeo and to kill her first turkey at age two. Remember Ellis Ann, call your Aunt C when you want a pedicure.
We played the most ridiculous card game that lasted forever and nearly sent Carolyn headfirst into the river, but we never needed or wanted the tv, phones or internet. We talked about the past, we reminisced, we talked about the future and those boys quoted at least 10,000 movie lines. Do all guys do that? For you girls' sake, I hope not. It drove me crazy. But they never tired of it and to them they all got funnier. Weird.
Ok, so epic it was. It really really was. We'll do it again, and soon. And I'm not sure we'll be able to stray far from this ole camp. We left a little part of ourselves at this century old and historic camp and I'll consider myself extremely lucky every time I'm able to share another weekend like this one with these folks I've found and loved along the way.
6 comments:
Awesome, La! It sounds like your perfect weekend!
Ahhhhhh! Babies, good friends and lettin' the loose end drag. Sounds perfect.
is your boyfriend from brewton? my husband grew up there too. wow, small world!! maybe we'll run into each other there sometime.
Wow, way to start out my Monday:)
It WAS everything we had hoped it would be......(you wanna go next weekend ;) ) heehee.
Love the pictures, you always do the BEST job documenting.
Will be praying for you guys in Nashville...I had not watched the news much until this morning, sounds pretty tough there. Glad you are ok.
It was a great weekend. Now it's time to start planning for a beach trip (or bay trip)!
SO MUCH FUN! I'm going to go ahead and invite Chris, Baker and I for the next trip... done? Perfect weekend!! Glad you got to catch up with great friends! love!
Post a Comment