
My latest SELF magazine has an article where they dissected and analyzed lists that people made; what it indicated about them as a person, the insecurites the handwriting portrayed, the repitition of puncuation, etc...I was intrigued and frightened at the same time. I am a prime candidate of interest for this project!
I am a list maker.
I mean a Queen List Maker.
Maybe a bit obsessive with it, actually and I would certainly qualify and probably be the Grand Poo Bah for LMA (List Makers Anonymous).
I make a new one about every 3-4 days. Many items are repeated, maybe just in a different order or different ink color...and while there is a sense of relief and satisfaction when I'm able to scratch a completed task off the list, the peace of mind and greatest satisfaction comes in actually making/writing the list so that my mind slows down.
My wheels are always turning and ever moving. It truly keeps my creative juices flowing and is mostly a great attribute, sometimes a curse.
Many of my "to do lists" start in my notebook beside my bed because I am forced to make a list in order to go to sleep when I can't because:
I am a list maker.
I mean a Queen List Maker.
Maybe a bit obsessive with it, actually and I would certainly qualify and probably be the Grand Poo Bah for LMA (List Makers Anonymous).
I make a new one about every 3-4 days. Many items are repeated, maybe just in a different order or different ink color...and while there is a sense of relief and satisfaction when I'm able to scratch a completed task off the list, the peace of mind and greatest satisfaction comes in actually making/writing the list so that my mind slows down.
My wheels are always turning and ever moving. It truly keeps my creative juices flowing and is mostly a great attribute, sometimes a curse.
Many of my "to do lists" start in my notebook beside my bed because I am forced to make a list in order to go to sleep when I can't because:
- the 7,382 emails I need to send are being composed in my head
- the phone call to the rental company needs to be made because they sent poly linens instead of imperial stripe
- there are two floral arrangement orders I need to follow up with
- the application to close off Broadway and 2nd Avenue isn't completed
- I need to record the psa for the tv station, yesterday!
This is a prime example and kind of scary that I just spit that out and every single one of those things needs to be completed, ha!
Granted, there are weeks when my lists are light and I focus on long term goals, simple errands & fun stuff:
Granted, there are weeks when my lists are light and I focus on long term goals, simple errands & fun stuff:
- buy dress for the party
- workout!
- eat well
- start working on a friends birthday surprise
- finish knitting scarf
- run 4 miles for 4 days and get a peidcure as a treat
- finish painting 3 canvases
- call -- to catch up
So, maybe I am a bit eccentric (also known as OCD ;) ) but we all have to be a little quirky or what a boring world this would be!
How do you keep your busy mind & crazy life in order?
3 comments:
It is hard for me to comment on this because I see you doing it all the time! You call me OCD...ha!
Though you already know this, I urge you to remember that sometimes the most important things are those that you can't put on a list...like hanging out with your sister :)
can I be at the top of your next list :|
I hope you continue to write lists... on real paper, with pens of different colors, and your individual doodling, because that's the real you...and that's always good.
Post a Comment