I could also have an entire blog dedicated to books; how much I love them. how they feed my thoughts and enrich my life. an escape & inexpensive therapy. memories of books that have changed my life. imaginary relationships with characters. meaningful conversations that come from offering someone a book and them loving it. mom and I justifying spending endless hours and way too much money in the bookstore, because books are worth it and we share.
so when books and the beach collide...it's magic for me.
Exhibit A:


I have several beach trips coming up and have been looking to stock up on good beach books...I love getting lost in a book in my chair, or reading an entire book in one day and not feeling guilty about being unproductive and I especially love the way the sand, salty air and water make the pages curl and crease...ahhh, the best.
However, I've been in a serious book slump...quite the tragedy. Nothing has grabbed me and/or I'm not grabbing onto to the few books I've tried to dive into. My mom and I have been reading reviews, visiting our favorite bookstores to become "inspiried" and I've sent out a "GOOD BOOK S-O-S" to several other book worms: Candy (collin's mom), my cousin Shirley who is an author, sister Whitney and a few girlfriends in Nashville -- everyone's feeling the good book blues, it seems.Mom and I were not even looking for books today and, of course, hit book heaven when we were least expecting it. We got several reads that looked good and did what we never do -- got 2 hardback books we've been eyeing but were waiting to come out in paperback. We were both smiling from ear to ear...it was sweet moment actually!
So after shopping and getting some super cute dresses from a local boutique and a great bathing suit...my favorite purchase of the day were our books!...beacuse they'll become dear friends. we'll pass them on. be anxious to have conversations about the characters and how they come to life in someone else's mind. and if I can offer the inspiration I get from books to anyone...that's good enough for me.
here are two that we got:
I'll update with reviews after I read them


..pass on any good books you've read lately.
happy reading!

6 comments:
The Swag Life. Funny as hell. not a story though just a collection of essays - good beach fun though....
love to N-ville or wherever you may be...
Ditto, ditto, ditto. As you well know, I could have written that blog. And....aahhhhhh the book find moment! It was even better than getting my stitches out. However, the entire day was a real treat for me. I know you're enjoying the waves now and that makes me happy. Have a great time!
my recent reads:
"Eat, Pray, Love" Elizabeth Gilbert (so good)
"Running with Scissors" Augusten Burroughs (very dark, very raw, but good, plus, I just realized I don't read a lot of fiction by men so it was a nice change to read something male-ish)
"The Secret Life of Bees" Sue Monk Kidd (southern fiction, LOVED this book)
"To Kill a Mockingbird" Harper Lee (classic)
All Very different, all I loved.
Currently reading second book in a Christian Fiction trilogy: Echo in the Darkness by Francine Rivers. A little cheesy, ok a LOT cheesy but a feel gooder.
Hey Girl, so happy you have a blog! I will be checking in. Oh and I read the Secret Life of Bees too, its great!
No wonder I'm friends with all of y'all, we have the same taste in books! ;)
LGM!
EPL - loved it (could've done without Eat/Italy, Pray/India was my fave part)
TKaM - re-read about once a year (classic & so many life lessons)
SLoBees - one of my all time faves...try Sufficent Grace by Darnell Arnoult..it remided me a lot of it
Have heard a lot about "Scissors" -will check it out along with The Swag Life, thanks MT!!
I am reading Belong to me too!!!!
I want to read this Girls in Trucks when you are done.
I read Between, Georgia. Basically I picked it up bc it has a yellow dress on the front and I thought it was pretty. But, don't judge a book by it's cover.....it was very odd. don't spend money on it.
Post a Comment