No amount of words could completely & accurately articulate the overwhelming emotions of awe, admiration and empowerment I am experiencing as a result of the election of our new President, Barack Obama. My words can only be expressed in an emotion I did not anticipate...tears.
I've wept throughout the night.
As I've expressed throughout my blog over the last few months (this, this & this post) I have been most passionate about this election because of the growing apathy among my generation, the heartbreak and hard times upon each & every citizen and finally, the first sign of hope we have ever experienced.
.
So my heart especially filled when I saw fellow old, young, black, white, Latino, and Asian Americans celebrating this historical moment; their hands clasped under their chins and tears flowing down their cheeks.
My tears flowed for them and with them.
.
When the words flashed across the screen "Barack Obama Projected Presidential Winner", my sister slumped over, covered her face with her hands and cried the most honest tears I've ever witnessed.
And I cried for her, because of her and with her.
.
When the new First Families stood on that stage hand in hand, black and white, overwhelmed with joy and humility...I repeated over & over again, "how beautiful".
I cried because I was thankful; at last.
.
And then my mom wept uncontrollably in her attempt to grasp and explain to us how monumental this day is for our country; forever changed. She achingly remembered days as a little girl in Kentucky who experienced segregated bathrooms, watched black people enter a public bus through a door in the back and was well aware that African-Americans were not welcome in her family's "Tasty Freeze".
She ached for them then, she knew it wasn't right.
She weeps for them now and breathes a sigh of relief with them today.
My tears were stuck, a lump in my throat grew. The strongest lady I know weeps in relief as she is thankful for tonight, simply for her children's sake.
.
it's a new day....
3 comments:
Amen! Hallelujah! Hope has won!
I, like you, did not expect tears but they came from the depths of me and I could not control them.
I wept because this man whom I have believed would change the world, now has the chance.
I wept because all these children and families I hope to serve, now have the opportunity to thrive.
I wept because my children will be born into a world where there are absolutely no boundaries to what they, or any other child, can do.
I wept because I was happy I didn't have to move to Vancouver...
And what an AMAZING new day it is! We were on our back porch watching it in the cold (okay so its Alabama it was more like 'semi-cold') and I couldn't have been warmer. It was truly one of the most powerful moments in my life (behind wife and children to be sure, but right up there). The sun shines a little brighter today, even in Montgomery, Alabama! :-)
Great post!
Thanks!!! You reflected these moments perfectly. I am so thankful I was able to experience this with you and P. You know how I always get the most pleasure from watching y'all and this was no exception.
Post a Comment