Thursday, July 9, 2009

bull meets girl

this time two years ago I was
running with the bulls

in pamplona, spain

This was never something I ever really dreamed of doing or was ever on my short or long lists of "things to do". But I happened to be the beneficiary of helping cross this off the "life list" of my dear friend Falon. You see, Falon's everyday life revolves round her "life list" and I've always thought she was so kooky about it, but you better believe, she get's things done and I was glad to help.

Running with the bulls at the San Fermin Festival was nearing the top of her list and after two years of working together, becoming best friends and spending 97% of our time together & traveling, she was convinced July 2007 was it...it was time for the trip. We were stellar travel partners and she knew I was always up for anything so she casually asked one day if I was interested, I said "sure, I guess" and 2 weeks later our flights were booked and accommodations settled.



Our parent's lost sleep over the trip.
Many folks called us naive and thought we were silly.
Our bosses feared losing 1/3 of their staff.
I thought we were pretty brave, actually, and never thought twice.
Never thought twice about the trip or a single decision along the way.



We flew into Barcelona with nothing but a backpack each and took a train to Pamplona. We stayed for several days to take in the culture and the spirit of the San Fermin Festival.



This history is about the bulls. Fourteen days of the morning bull runs and the bull fights at night. But the festival, the celebration...it's all about a party. All day, all night, all party. And a European kind of party. It's different. So, so different. Four days was enough. Plenty, indeed. And there were marching bands everywhere. If I remember anything, it will be the group we were with made up of folks from all over the world, our awesome downtown flat and the marching bands that
never stopped. So we ran with the bulls one of the days and watched from the balcony the other days.



Then we took a train to Madrid and stayed for a few days. It didn't take long to fall in love with this city. Art, oh the art! Wine all day, museums, paella, lovely locals and fantastic outdoor cafes.



We saw a part of the world we'd never been to before.
We...two twenty-something girls, with wide eyes, big dreams and open minds.
We witnessed a historical event that put eve
n Hemingway at a loss for words.
We ran and we got trampled and I'll never forget seeing the eyes of that bull.
It was adrenaline like I've never experienced before.
I still have the scar on my right arm & the blood stained white clothes in the back of my closet.

But I'd do it again in a
heartbeat.
It was a once in a lifetime experience, that I hope lands twice.

2 comments:

Janie said...

Lost sleep, fingernail nubs, intestinal disorders, and a constant email watch.......ahhhhh yes, I remember it well.

But, good for you! No regrets, right?

Anonymous said...

Y'all are N U T S. Just read where 1 person died this year... the 1st since 1995. You can say you live life on the edge, you wild thing.