Thursday, July 23, 2009

this woman's work.

Aight, confession time...you won't find me grumbling about the lull of summer tv re-runs or counting down the days until the premiere of our favorite show's season, because all of that is redeemed with the summer show I love most of all: So You Think You Can Dance.

I am addicted to this show thanks to Pallie, who made me watch it two summers ago totally against my will. I'm telling you, the dancing done on this stage is nothing less than brilliant art; it tells stories, it stirs emotions, and all from young people chasing a dream.


There are tons of memorable dances on every season and several folks have have really launched their career from this show, but what happened with one dance last night, is one I won't be able to shake.

It moved me. It rattled me really close to home. And it was a gracious reminder.



It was a heartbreaking reminder of an amazing lady very close to our family who we lost to breast cancer nearly eight years ago...and the song, it was her daughter's favorite song.

I want to write like this dance moves people.

I need to paint more to express my feelings and those of the world.
We all gotta spread goodwill. Got to.

4 comments:

Mary Tyler S. said...

my gosh - this song is in one of my FAVORITE movies, "She's having a baby" with Kevin Bacon. Please tell me you've seen it!

Laurel said...

I haven't, but it's also in "Love and Basketball" which is where we know the song from!

Janie said...

Amen and Amen!!!You know I was a wreck watching this performance and I totally agree with you about the show and the impact that one short dance had on so many.

Sometimes it just takes one small gesture to spread good will.....how easy is that.?

Anonymous said...

L O V E it! This songs, no matter how many times I listen to it, brings me to tears! I feel like I share a bond with you about this song because not many people know and love it like we do! Great Post and makes me miss you tremendously.